King County Explorer Search & Rescue (ESAR) has an intensive 120 hour basic
training course, held on alternating weekends in
the fall and winter. The course includes two indoor orientation
and information sessions, and four outdoor
sessions held at one of the local Boy Scout camps.
- Minimum age of 14 years old and completed the 8th grade, or 15 years old, prior to taking Course B.
- Registration with Learning For Life [http://learningforlife.org/].
(Learning For Life registration is automatic with ESAR registration.)
- Submit a completed ESAR Personal Information Form prior to taking Course B.
- Complete the King County Sheriff's SAR application before the end of Course A.
- Pass the King County Sheriff's background check prior to taking Course C.
- Pay the $125.00 Training Fee by check (no cash) the morning of your Course B.
The fee covers the cost of training and supplies; see training packet for details.
The requirements listed above must be met before participating in any training sessions. For youth participants
at least a 2.0 grade point average must be maintained for release from school for ESAR operations.
The following packet is handed out at the Orientation A, and gives you a good idea of what kind of time and equipment the training requires.
© KCESAR • PO Box 1266 • North Bend, WA 98045