Membership in King County ESAR is open to those who are age 14 and older, have
a desire to help others in the out-of-doors, and are willing to respond to emergencies
whenever possible. Basic training is held every year from September to February.
Training sessions primarily take place at Camp Brinkley, north of Monroe, Washington.
King County ESAR members thrive by not only providing the outdoor community with search and
rescue services, but also by giving back to the unit itself and its many training opportunities.
We are a youth based organization, which means that we strive to support especially our younger
members with training courses, social/experience outings, and experience in dealing with dynamic
and potentially dangerous situations. The result of this experience is a confidence that allows
our youth to act as leaders not only within our organization, but in the rest of their community
Although the unit is largely focused on its younger members, there are also many adults within the
organization. Some of these older members joined as teenagers and never found a reason
to leave, others are back for more after going away to college, and others didn't even
discover ESAR until well into their adult life.
We always welcome people of all ages interested in being field volunteers, as well
as those interested in helping in the following ways:
- Communication Operator (requires amateur radio license)
- Van Driver (must be 21 or over, pass a driver's course, and be approved by
the Sheriff's department)
What we can offer you:
- Extensive and demanding training in wilderness navigation, search procedures
and wilderness survival, as well as basic first aid and CPR certification,
helicopter training and crime scene preservation instruction.
- Leadership opportunities including team, field and operations leader.
- Advanced training in technical rope rescue, locating downed aircraft,
search management, and Emergency Medical Technician certification.
- Knowledge and skills to assist you later in life.
While ESAR is not devoted to exploring a particular career like
police and fire explorer groups, our members have gone on to become physicians,
paramedics, firefighters, law enforcement officers, search and rescue coordinators,
park service climbing rangers and special operations soldiers - as well as many
other non-emergency service careers.
What we ask of prospective members:
- To have a desire to help others in need while out-of-doors in all kinds
of weather and terrain.
- Dedication to our extensive training program.
- Willingness to respond to missions whenever possible. Search and rescue
missions rarely occur at convenient times, the weather is often poor and
oftentimes, the terrain is very rough. However, the need for responders is always
real and immediate.
- The maturity to positively represent King County ESAR and the King County
Sheriff's Office at all times.
The kind of work we do:
King County contains some of the most varied terrain in the United States: Our operations
can take place just a few feet above sea level on the streets of Seattle,
on the 7-8000 foot peaks of the remote Alpine Lakes Wilderness area, and everywhere
in between. Our most common missions include:
- Trail rescues or "carryouts" of injured hikers, climbers and
- Wilderness searches on both trails and in cross-country terrain for
- "In-town" searches for missing Alzheimer's patients, children
- Evidence searches at crime scenes. ESAR has played a large part in recovering
evidence from both the Ted Bundy and Green River killings - two of the largest
serial cases in the nation.
- Out of county missions to assist other Washington counties with both
searches and rescues.
The Orientation A packet, available below, gives an overview of all the required
courses and equipment for King County ESAR basic training. The recruiting video,
also available below, gives an overview of our training
program and the variety of services we offer to our community.
A packet that is handed out at Orientation A gives new members a good idea
of what is required and what to expect from our training program. It
can be downloaded from the training page.
The ESAR Video
Download our recruiting video.
This year's training schedule can be found on
© KCESAR • PO Box 1266 • North Bend, WA 98045